Sunday, May 13, 2012

Time to rest

I've been busy!  As mentioned, May's habit is to plan and prepare my food.  And I've done it for this week:

Breakfast - hominy with spinach and hard boiled eggs
Lunch - Asian Salad with mandarin oranges, edamame, asparagus, snow peas, spinach and red leaf lettuce.
Dinners - whatever D prepares, with reasonable portions.

I made up my salad dressing - using the juice from the mandarin oranges, minced (microplaned) ginger and carrot, soy sauce and canola oil.  It's pretty tasty if I say so myself.

Yesterday, D and I discovered a Latino restaurant and grocery that was the real deal.  Oh my - I want to go back for the guacamole and fried plantains.  The couple sitting next to us were enjoying it and I so wanted it - but then, I wanted everything on the menu.  In the grocery, I found something I'd been hoping to see - dried hominy.

I soaked it over night and then it cooked (low simmer) for almost 3 hours this morning.  The end result:


After it had cooled, I took about a third of it and sauteed it with some butter and olive oil, salt and pepper. Then I tossed in three small handfuls of spinach and cooked unti it was wilted.  Then a touch of nutmeg.
This with 2 hard boiled eggs will be breakfast three days this week:



Then I got busy in the salads - tearing a huge bunch of red leaf lettuce, quickly making a soy glazed asparagus, wilted snow peas, edamame seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic powder, & shredded carrots (I shredded them myself with a handy dandy fancy peeler).  Then the dressing, which I described above.

And I stuffed three mason jars with it.  I can't wait to enjoy lunch tomorrow!





No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is inactive. To visit the current blog, go to inspiredbythecreed dot wordpress dot com. Replace the dots with '.' - this old blog is suddenly attracting spammers, but I'm not yet ready to take it down.