Friday, November 6, 2009

I'm on a weight loss regimen...

I hate to make this public announcement but I'm going to because I believe in being honest with oneself. The announcement: I have gained even more weight.

Now - starting every Friday, I'm going to duplicate here, a post I make on MFD. Any words of wisdom and encouragement you might offer in my journey will be greatly appreciated. I've definitely strayed off the path. The good news is that I think I'm working on this soon enough that I don't have to climb a mountain to get back on the path. Now for the duplicate post:

OK. Fridays are weigh-in days and well - as much as I hate it, I'm gonna post my weight here for some public accountability. I am also reminding myself that the number on the scale is not a reflection of who I am - but a measure of how well I've been managing my weight. And that number shows I need to improve in that area.

Friday 11/6: 154.4

So - here's to starting my first 'official' weight loss regimen in over 4 years. Now let's set some goals.

First - the number goals:
Short term - to be under 150 on January 1st.
Longer term - to be under 145 by March 1st
At that stage, I'll re-evalute my goals.

Number goals are pretty useless without daily & weekly behavioral goals. I will be resetting these goals here every week.

This week's goals:
1. Update my progress on my behavioral goals on a daily basis - accountability
2. Daily journaling. This will be offline and involve pen, paper and ritual. - Emotional health
3. Daily food logging - all food - knowledge is power.
4. Exercise - Beef up the cardio (time not intensity). Push ahead with PUSH. Yoga or Pilates 1x per week. - Physical health
5. Come up with a viable eating plan and implement it
6. Explore the concept that I may not actually know how to LOSE weight without drastic means.
7. Weigh myself ONCE a week. Not daily. Fridays are weigh-in days.

That's it. It sucks to have to be undergoing this during the feasting season. But well so be it. If I don't undergo it now, I hate to think of what I'd need to address come January.

That's it for now.

3 comments:

  1. {{Maura}} You're so right about catching this weight-gain NOW before it turns into that mountain again. THAT'S the mindset change. And yes, the scale is not a reflection of who you are. It merely points out where we can improve, that's all. I know you can do this. If you need anything, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You asked for suggestions. When I write out and daily affirm my reasons for my goals, I find that I am better able to match up what I actually do with what I set out to do. So, for instance, I have a pop-up reminder every morning I look at - my weight loss & fitness goals bring me health, happiness and peace of mind. The pop-up includes a question: how much is this worth to you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn - Thanks. I think one of the biggest behavioral changes for me in the weight management journey is holding myself accountable by stepping on the scales even when I know deep down I am not going to like what I see. Putting my head in the sand about it is how I got up to 249 lbs at one point. I am confident I will be successful in my goals. Learning to take consistent baby steps with weight loss will probably be my biggest challenge.

    Chris - thank you for taking the time to comment. You are right about writing out and affirming your goal. I used to do that when I journaled (pen, paper, and other rituals) and it does help. Thanks for reminding me of that.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is inactive. To visit the current blog, go to inspiredbythecreed dot wordpress dot com. Replace the dots with '.' - this old blog is suddenly attracting spammers, but I'm not yet ready to take it down.