Friday, October 14, 2011

A Dose of Honesty

Recently, a well-meaning woman wrote to me privately that she believed I've been self-sabatoging myself for the past three years.  Hmmm.

I've been thinking about that.  Though I disagree with her approach to weight maintenance - she's an exercise fiend and I don't think that's sustainable, I have a ton of respect and admiration for what she's accomplished - the amount of weight loss and keeping it off for three years.  Her approach is obviously working for her at this time.  And when there's a rankle, there's some truth.  So, I've been thinking about it.

Yesterday, I wrote that one of my biggest challenges is all the food in the office.  My thoughts on how much food is in the office belongs to another post.  Let's just say it's wrong.  But more importantly, when I re-read that post this morning, I thought to myself.  Hmmm.  Perhaps {insert name here} is correct.  Not necessarily in the sense she described, but there is some self-sabotage going on.  I'm naming obstacles left and right.  But never the biggest one:  my mind.

My mind is no longer in the right place.  And I do very much believe that if the mind is in the right place, then the obstacles become less and less of a distraction.

I'm going to be somewhat unplugged for the next week.  Oh, I'll have as much access to the internet as I desire.  But I desire to plant 100 daffodil bulbs instead.  I desire to knit instead.  I desire to read instead.  And while I'm planting bulbs and knitting and reading, I'm gonna be working on my mind.

I will not return to the former days of weight management by brute force.  It's not in me to do so.  However, a little bit of discipline can go a long long way. And one does not become one's best self without a little bit of discipline.

So, {insert name here}, if you're still checking on me, know that your comments are being well considered - not summarily dismissed.  And thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is inactive. To visit the current blog, go to inspiredbythecreed dot wordpress dot com. Replace the dots with '.' - this old blog is suddenly attracting spammers, but I'm not yet ready to take it down.